Do you want to drive the direction of the entire fraternity, revise the national constitution, and possibly change the ritual itself? Then the National Convention is where you can do all that and more! National Convention is an event that brings together over 200 brothers from around the country to form the "Grand Chapter." Read more about Convention here.
Preparing for Convention is essential, and following the few simple steps below will set you up for success:
- First, a chapter needs to vote and designate you as a Delegate or the Alternate. There is formal paperwork you MUST bring with you!
- Bring your chapters ritual book and National Constitution to Convention! Remember to get these items from your Regent before leaving home!
- Be sure to study ritual pages 82-84 so you can prove you are a brother of Theta Tau...you do remember how to de-code, correctly? Before you are allowed to sit in a closed national meeting, the Grand Marshal will test every Delegate and Alternate to ensure they are members (this process is called Credentials). STUDY IN ADVANCE!
- Many chapters enjoy the road trip to Convention. If you are driving, consider carpooling with other chapters close by or in route!
- Registration and the opening ceremony starts Thursday morning, so plan to arrive Wednesday or EARLY Thursday morning. National Officers will be around to help answer questions and do early credentials on Wednesday so you can sleep in a little bit on Thursday morning!
- KEEP your receipts! There is a reimbursement policy to fund most (or perhaps all) of your travel expenses related to attending the National Convention. Stay tuned for more info on how this policy works!
- Prepare to have the time of your life - Imagine the energy from over 200 of the Fraternity's most passionate brothers coming together in what some describe as a Super Regionals!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about how to best prepare for Convention, please reach out to your Regional Directors, or the Grand Marshal.
We look forward to seeing you in San Diego this August!